To make vegan tomato soup from scratch, start by sautéing onions and garlic in a pot. Add fresh tomatoes, vegetable broth, and seasonings like basil and oregano. Simmer until the tomatoes are cooked and then blend the mixture until smooth. Adjust the seasonings to taste and serve hot.
If you require more information, continue reading
To make a delicious vegan tomato soup from scratch, follow these detailed steps:
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add finely chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent and slightly golden. This will usually take about 5 minutes.
- Next, add minced garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant. Garlic adds a wonderful aroma and flavor to the soup.
- Now, it’s time to add the star ingredient – fresh tomatoes. Select ripe tomatoes and chop them into chunks, removing the tough core if necessary. You can use any variety of tomatoes, such as Roma, vine-ripened, or heirloom, depending on your preference and availability. Add the tomatoes to the pot and stir everything together.
- Pour in vegetable broth or vegetable stock to enhance the flavors. You can either use store-bought or homemade vegetable broth, whichever you prefer. Vegetable broth provides a rich and savory base for the soup.
- Season the soup with herbs and spices to elevate the taste. Traditional choices are basil and oregano, but you can experiment with other herbs like thyme or rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remember, seasonings can always be adjusted later, so start with a little and add more if desired.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Allow the flavors to meld together and the tomatoes to soften. This usually takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the soup you desire.
- Once the soup has simmered and the tomatoes are completely cooked down, remove the pot from heat and let it cool slightly. It’s now time to blend the soup until smooth. You can use an immersion blender directly in the pot or transfer the mixture to a blender in batches. Be cautious when blending hot liquids as they can splatter.
- After blending, return the soup to the pot and taste for seasonings. Adjust as needed, adding more salt, pepper, or herbs if desired. If the soup seems too thick, you can add a little vegetable broth or water to reach your preferred consistency.
- For added richness and creaminess, you can incorporate a splash of coconut milk or almond milk. However, this step is optional and depends on personal preference.
- Finally, reheat the soup over low heat until warmed through. Stir occasionally to prevent any sticking or burning.
Quote: “Cooking is not about convenience and it’s not about shortcuts. Our hunger for the twenty-minute gourmet meal, for one-pot ease and pre-washed, pre-cut ingredients has severed our lifeline to the satisfactions of cooking. Take your time. Take a long time. Move slowly and deliberately and with great attention.” – Thomas Keller
Interesting facts about tomato soup:
- Tomato soup has been a popular dish for centuries. It is believed to have originated in Spain during the 18th century.
- The classic pairing of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches became popular in the United States during the Great Depression. It was a simple and inexpensive meal that provided warmth and comfort.
- Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, an antioxidant that has been linked to various health benefits, including reducing the risk of certain diseases.
- Tomato soup can be enjoyed as a low-calorie and nutritious option. It is packed with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like potassium and manganese.
- Variations of tomato soup can be found in cuisines around the world. For example, in India, tomato soup is often spiced with cumin, ginger, and other aromatic spices.
- Canned tomato soup became widely popular in the mid-20th century when condensed soup was introduced. This made tomato soup even more convenient and accessible to households.
- Tomato soup is incredibly versatile and can be customized to suit different tastes. You can add additional ingredients like roasted red peppers, carrots, or even lentils to enhance the flavor and texture.
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
|Onion (finely chopped)||1 medium-sized|
|Garlic (minced)||3 cloves|
|Fresh tomatoes||5-6 large|
|Vegetable broth||4 cups|
|Basil (dried or fresh)||1 tsp (or to taste)|
|Oregano (dried or fresh)||1 tsp (or to taste)|
|Coconut milk or almond milk||Optional, to taste|
Note: The quantities mentioned in the table are approximate and can be adjusted based on personal preference.
Response video to “How do you make vegan tomato soup from scratch?”
In this YouTube video, the YouTuber shares a beginner-friendly recipe for homemade tomato soup using fresh tomatoes. They provide instructions for preparing different types of tomatoes, and after blending them, they add chicken stock, onions, and garlic to simmer. While the tomato mixture simmers, they sterilize canning jars and prepare the lids. The YouTuber then creates a roux by melting butter and adding flour before straining the tomato mixture and gradually mixing it into the roux. The recipe can be customized according to personal preference. The video also demonstrates the canning process, including adding salt and sugar to the finished soup before filling the sterilized jars. The jars are sealed and placed in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes before being enjoyed or stored. The creator notes that the soup may settle and separate in the jars, which is normal.
You will most likely be interested in this
What is vegan soup made of?
If you’re looking for meatless soup recipes high in protein, look out for lentils and beans. This creamy white bean soup combines beans and potato blended until smooth with chunks of veggies (like celery, carrot, and kale).
In respect to this, What ingredients are in Campbell’s tomato soup vegan?
The reply will be: Campbell’s Tomato soup is not vegan because it contains natural flavoring that is likely from animal sources and sugar filtered with bone char. While Campbell’s does not explicitly state that their products are not vegan, it is clear that Campbell’s Tomato Soup is not safe for vegans to consume.
Is Campbell’s tomato soup vegan? Unfortunately, Campbell’s Cream of Tomato Soup isn’t vegan because it contains dairy. Among the skim milk, cream, buttermilk, whey, and modified butter – it’s far from an animal-free and cruelty-free brand.
Hereof, Is homemade tomato soup good for you?
The answer is: Tomato soup may offer numerous health benefits, including cancer-fighting properties and improved fertility in men. It may also benefit heart, skin, and bone health, among others. These benefits are mainly due to the many plant compounds in tomatoes.
Correspondingly, How do you make vegan tomato soup? Answer will be: Olive oil: use a bit of olive oil for cooking the onions & garlic. Whole peeled tomatoes: I like to use a 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes, but you can also use a can of fire roasted tomatoes too! Full fat coconut milk: the key to creamy vegan tomato soup is use full fat canned coconut milk (not from the carton).
Considering this, How do you make tomato soup from scratch?
In reply to that: Fresh tomato soup from scratch starts with tomatoes simmered with onions, garlic, and seasonings. Serve with fresh basil and chopped bacon for a yummy and cozy dinner or lunch. In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add diced onions and oil and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they begin to become translucent.
Furthermore, How do you make a tomato soup with coconut milk?
Response: Add in tomatoes to the pot and use a spoon to break up the tomatoes as best as you can, then add in coconut milk, italian seasoning, salt and a lot of pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Carefully transfer all of the mixture to a high powered blender or feel free to use an immersion blender.
Additionally, How long do you cook tomato soup? As a response to this: Stir, and let simmer on low/medium for about 5 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir well. Add the remaining stock, tomatoes, crushed pepper, and italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until tomatoes have softened. Place in a blender and pulse until smooth.
Similarly one may ask, How do you make vegan tomato soup?
Response: Olive oil: use a bit of olive oil for cooking the onions & garlic. Whole peeled tomatoes: I like to use a 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes, but you can also use a can of fire roasted tomatoes too! Full fat coconut milk: the key to creamy vegan tomato soup is use full fat canned coconut milk (not from the carton).
Just so, How long does it take to cook tomato soup?
In reply to that: Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium and add all of the tomatoes; cook and stir until they start to break down, about 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, bay leaves, and 1 sprig basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tomatoes have broken down and soup starts to thicken, about 30 minutes.
In respect to this, How do you make a tomato soup with coconut milk?
Add in tomatoes to the pot and use a spoon to break up the tomatoes as best as you can, then add in coconut milk, italian seasoning, salt and a lot of pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Carefully transfer all of the mixture to a high powered blender or feel free to use an immersion blender.
In respect to this, How do you make a tomato soup with almond milk?
Answer: Add half of the vegetable stock and all of the almond milk. Stir, and let simmer on low/medium for about 5 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and stir well. Add the remaining stock, tomatoes, crushed pepper, and italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until tomatoes have softened.